Sunday, January 12, 2014

Rice Pilaf

For lunch I made stuffed Bell Peppers w/Extra Lean Beef & Cheese and served Rice Pilaf to go with it.  I'll be posting the recipe for the Peppers later this week, as I didn't have time to write it all down today.  But I'm sure you'll enjoy making one of my original recipes :-).


Rice Pilaf
Cocina De Don Pedro © 2013
Pedro R. Flores, Jr.. All Rights Reserved.
Makes 3 Servings, 1/2 C each


Ingredients:
- Butter-flavored non-stick Cooking Spray
- 1/4 C Onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Potato or Carrots, diced
- 1/2 C Long Grain Enriched Rice
- 1/2 Tbsp Chicken-Flavored Bouillon (Knorr Caldo Con Sabor De Pollo or any brand)
- 1/2 Tbsp Parsley Flakes
- 1 Dash or 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1-3/4 C Hot Water


Kitchenware:
- Rice Cooker or 2 qt Pot or larger*
- Wooden Spoon or Spatulas
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups


Preparation:
If you've read my other recipes you probably noticed that I use non-stick cooking spray quite a bit.  That is because I don't use butter or margarine for cooking.  I feel it's unnecessary fat added to your foods.  So when I say, "spray generously", spray generously. :-)

- After spraying your pot,* place on stove over medium heat. 

- After one minute add onions, sweet potato and rice.  Stir-fry until rice turns slightly brown.  Continue to add spray sparingly. (you can turn up the heat a little if it seems to be taking too long)  Make sure not to scorch the ingredients.

- Add your spices and blend well.

- Add water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat.  Cover and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Check it at the 10 minute mark to make sure it's not sticking to the bottom.

- Stir, remove from heat and set aside.  Leave it covered for a few minutes before serving.


Tips
- I have a Breville Risotto maker, so I'm able to cook anything in this cool appliance, but you can easily make the rice in any rice cooker, saute pan, or pot.

- The nutritional facts for this recipe are listed under MyFitnessPal under Cocina De Don Pedro - Rice Pilaf

Nutritional Facts:
Serving Size = 1/2 Cup Cooked
Calories 122 Sodium 441 mg
Total Fat 0 g Potassium 74 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 27 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 1 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 1 g
Trans 0 g Protein 2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg

No comments:

Post a Comment