Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Mega Omelet

This morning I made our usual breakfast meal for Ryan and myself.  It is a healthy egg white omelet I like to call "The Mega-Omelet".  It is filled with plenty of vegetables, fat free shredded cheese, spices and is extremely yummy.  And with only 1 gram of Fat* and 22 carbohydrates it is sure to keep your tummy full until lunch or your afternoon snack!

I will post it for those who wish to try it with their choice of fixings.  You can also add Mushrooms and Jalapenos for a more flavorful meal.

The Mega Omelet
Cocina De Don Pedro © 2013
Pedro R. Flores, Jr.. All Rights Reserved.
Makes 1 Serving, 1 Large Omelet


Ingredients:
- Butter-Flavored Cooking Spray
- 3/4 Cup chopped Bell Peppers & Onions*
- 2 oz. of Potato, diced
- 2 Slices of low-fat Ham, Turkey, or your choice of meat*
- 6 Large Eggs, separated
- 1/4 tsp Seasoned Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Roma Tomato, chopped
- 1/2 Fat Free Cheddar Cheese


Kitchenware:
- Small Frying Pan
- Rubber Spatulas
- Wire Whisk
- Egg Separator
- Kitchen Knife
- Bowls


Preparation:
If you've read my other recipes you probably noticed that I use non-stick cooking spray quite a bit.  That is because I don't use butter or margarine for cooking.  I feel it's unnecessary fat added to your foods.  So when I say, "spray generously", spray generously. :-)


- After spraying your pan generously, add Bell Peppers, Onions and diced Potatoes to frying pan on low-medium heat.  Let fry, stirring occasionally until you start to see the potatoes and vegetables turning slightly brown at the edges.


- Add your choice of meat, cover and let fry a little longer until you start to notice your meat browning.

- In a separate bowl combine your egg whites, spices and mix well.  I like to use my Ninja, because it blends my spices into the egg whites amazingly well.
- Before adding your whites*, spray the pan generously while stirring the fixings.  

- Add your whites and tomatoes, then cover and allow to cook for a 2-3 minutes.

- Remove cover and mix the ingredients, or if you can flip into another pan it will keep the omelet uniform.  I can usually flip the pan with the omelet in it, but my pans are starting to stick.  Time for me to get some new ones.


- Once omelet is flipped, add 1/2 of your shredded cheese, cover and allow to melt. Add the remaining cheese to the top of your omelet when placing it on a plate.





** Tips **
- I have a Ziploc bag of bell peppers & onions that I keep in the freezer.  I make them myself with fresh vegetables.

- I like to use low-fat meats, but you're more than welcome to use whatever you like.  The nutritional facts below reflect all the ingredients from the omelet with the exception of the meat product.

- You don't have to use an egg separator to separate the yolk from the whites, you can simply use your and by cracking an egg into the palm of your hand allowing the whites to filter through your fingers into a bowl.

- The single gram of fat that comes with the omelet is derived from the ham in the omelet.  Otherwise, this omelet would be completely fat free!

- The nutritional facts for this recipe are listed under MyFitnessPal under Cocina De Don Pedro - The Mega Omelet

Nutritional Facts:
Serving Size = 1 Mega Omelet
Calories 234 Sodium 620 mg
Total Fat 1 g Potassium 882 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 22 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 4 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 4 g
Trans 0 g Protein 33 g
Cholesterol 5 mg

No comments:

Post a Comment